CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Roles

What a week so far! Sunday at church started it out with a bang. Ken Freeman, an evangelist from Texas, brought the message and what a message it was! He's very "in your face" about God and salvation, but that was just the message some needed to hear... 15 people were saved! How awesome is that!?!

I do have to admit that Sunday brought some questions into my mind. I think I was wondering.. "Why did it take someone new to bring people to Christ?", "Is our church doing something wrong the other 51 weeks in the year?" I guess I had never really stopped and thought about an evangelist and their role vs. a pastor and his role. The wisdom of my smart husband (Thanks Baby!) and this helped clear up my brain a bit...

Paul lists in Chapter 4 and verse 11 of Ephesians the different roles associated with gifts that Christ sent down when he ascended to the Father.

"He gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors/teachers."

He states the reason in the next verse:
"to prepare God's people for works of service so that the body of Christ may be built up."

Just like your physical body has different members with different roles (the ear has a work of service to do and the eyes have a role and the hands have a role), each part of the body serves the body at the command of the head.

In the body of Christ, each member serves Christ. He is the head of the body of Christ (Colossians and I Corinthians 12.) The hand cannot say to the eye, "I do not need you." Each member is important for growth.

In the Kingdom (Body) of Christ, it is the same. Each member has a role and each must discover the gift God gives them. They should then use it as Christ commands.

The teacher (pastor/shepherd/Elder) and the preacher (Evangelist) are both proclaimers of God's word but they are different areas of service. The biblical role of pastor/teacher is that of a shepherd; one that tends or cares for the flock. He must also be "qualified to teach" God's word. The Evangelist (preacher) is a proclaimer of the good news of Christ's death, burial and resurrection. He converts sinners. He brings the lost into the flock. The teacher/pastor then cares for them and brings them to maturity. Each area of service is unique.

I get it now!! I think our church is getting better at caring for those in the body. Mike, you are not a slacker and are doing a great job being a pastor and helping us to experience, equip and engage ( our churches motto of sorts) our community. (Sorry if this seemed as if I was doubting you!)

A bunch of us from Cornerstone are leaving today for Unleash at NewSpring church in South Carolina. Unleash is designed to challenge, encourage, and motivate church leaders to take action to reach their communities for Christ. I'm very excited about how we can use the knowledge we'll gain from this to help grow our church.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

One thing to think about...
perhaps Cornerstone is leaving people out...at times it comes across as too "clickish". If we aren't on the Praise Team or part of the Missions Group, there is a feeling of not being part of it all. I have seen people come and go. We lost a very good family because no one included them. They didn't feel wanted or needed. We need to be careful not to allienate others b/c of our need to feel close as a church family. We have the possibilty to do great things for God, but we are missing the mark with some of our very own people in our community. When a family leaves our church is anyone asking...why? Where did they go? Why aren't they coming back? It proves they were right to leave. No one cared!! Just something to think about...

Anonymous said...

I agree with the other poster, Cornerstone does come off very clickish.

Unknown said...

When will it be on Itunes?? I have been listening to sermons on there.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I have been wanting to say something for a LONG time, but I was afraid to. I also this the first poster is right.

Jenni said...

Katy

The Ken Freeman message will not be on iTunes - Because he is a paid speaker that sells his sermon cd's Mike decided not to put his message on iTunes -we did record the service for our children's workers and I could drop you by a cd sometime
- Jennifer

Jenni said...

Some interesting comments -
I thought about commenting annonymously but I thought if I feel strongly enough about something I shouldn't be ashamed to say it. Let me first say that my comment does not reflect the views of Cornerstone or my husband as the pastor - it is just my opinion.

I think church is a place for people to meet Jesus. Scripture tells us that Jesus came to save that which was lost - He came for the sick not the well. As a church we cannot feel responsible for keeping everyone happy. If someone gets involved in serving at Cornerstone - and there are PLENTY of places other than the praise team and missions team - and still feels unwanted and left out then maybe we have a problem. Matthew 20:20 says Jesus came to serve not to be served - and when we are serving like we are called to do we will forget ourselves and not even notice if there is a "clickish" group because our eyes are focused on Jesus. I know that disciplship and community are important and Cornerstone provides opportunity for that. I don't think we should beg people to come back - there are plenty of lost people in the Twin Counties that need their seats. Contribute or consume - it's your choice. That may seem harsh but we have a lost world to reach.

Boni Faith Haynes said...

Whoa!?! Did I miss something? Sorry Mr. or Mrs. Anonymous, but I fail to see how your comment even relates to my post.... but anyway... Are you in a small group? Do you help with the children's or youth ministries? Perhaps if you were involved with serving in the church, you would feel a part of it. There are MANY, MANY areas that need your help and by serving you get to know folks and maybe you'll get in a "click"... the Christian click!!

Jenni said...

I was just reading my Bible and realized I gave the wrong reference to the scripture in my post above - it should be Matt 20:28

Anonymous said...

I think she/he was trying to be helpful. If your not open to suggestions, your church will not grow. And I attended there, and left. And no one ever visted me, not once, no one ever called, or asked where I was, or when I stopped coming, why.

Boni Faith Haynes said...

I'm so sorry if you did not feel a part of our church. I do agree that we need to get our visiting committee up and going again, but no place can make everyone happy. I feel that our church has grown so much since forming 3 or so years ago, but that we have tons of room for improvement. But as Jenni said earlier, we need to keep our main focus as a place for people to meet Jesus. I hope you will come back and join us. Also, to everyone reading, please know that what I say is just the first thing that comes out of my big mouth (or I guess fingers in this case!) and doesn't reflect the opinions of the whole church... I'm just speaking for one person... Me!