CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Hoo Hoos

After attending our local La Leche League meeting today, as we do every second Wednesday of the month, I realized that I had never done a post about breastfeeding. I guess it's become just the norm around here since Ava's birth 2 years and almost 4 months ago. Being breastfed myself as a child, (Thanks Mom!) made it just the normal thing to do, and we never put much thought into it, it just happened. Ava had no problems at all and loves her "Hoo hoos" as she has named them, and John has loved every minute of it. Are you reading that last line again? Yes, Ava STILL loves her "Hoo Hoos." We've been tandem nursing since John's birth 7 months ago. It's not something most choose to do but it has worked well for us.

I've yet to figure out why some folks are bothered by breastfeeding. In todays society where you see boobs on tv and in ads everywhere you turn, why are some bothered when they see someone using them for what they were designed for? God has designed the perfect tools for feeding our children, giving them just what they need; not too much, not too little... why not use them? Why would someone WANT to give their little baby formula? Looks like I'm asking a lot of whys... well, why breastfeed?... here's why...

BENEFITS FOR BABY:

  • Breast milk is the most complete form of nutrition for infants. A mother's milk has just the right amount of fat, sugar, water, and protein that is needed for a baby's growth and development. Most babies find it easier to digest breast milk than they do formula.
  • As a result, breastfed infants grow exactly the way they should. They tend to gain less unnecessary weight and to be leaner. This may result in being less overweight later in life.

  • Premature babies do better when breastfed compared to premature babies who are fed formula.

  • Breastfed babies score slightly higher on IQ tests, especially babies who were born pre-maturely.

BENEFITS FOR MOM:

  • Nursing uses up extra calories, making it easier to lose the pounds of pregnancy. It also helps the uterus to get back to its original size and lessens any bleeding a woman may have after giving birth.

  • Breastfeeding, especially exclusive breastfeeding (no supplementing with formula), delays the return of normal ovulation and menstrual cycles.

  • Breastfeeding lowers the risk of breast and ovarian cancers, and possibly the risk of hip fractures and osteoporosis after menopause.

  • Breastfeeding makes your life easier. It saves time and money. You do not have to purchase, measure, and mix formula. There are no bottles to warm in the middle of the night!

  • A mother can give her baby immediate satisfaction by providing her breast milk when her baby is hungry.

  • Breastfeeding requires a mother to take some quiet relaxed time for herself and her baby.

  • Breastfeeding can help a mother to bond with her baby. Physical contact is important to newborns and can help them feel more secure, warm and comforted.

  • Breastfeeding mothers may have increased self-confidence and feelings of closeness and bonding with their infants.

BENEFITS FOR SOCIETY:

  • Breastfeeding saves on health care costs. Total medical care costs for the nation are lower for fully breastfed infants than never-breastfed infants since breastfed infants typically need fewer sick care visits, prescriptions, and hospitalizations.

  • Breastfeeding contributes to a more productive workforce. Breastfeeding mothers miss less work, as their infants are sick less often. Employer medical costs also are lower and employee productivity is higher.

  • Breastfeeding is better for our environment because there is less trash and plastic waste compared to that produced by formula cans and bottle supplies.


So, there you go! I'm off to go give someone some Hoo Hoo!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there!

What a beautiful site you have!

I jus tread your post about breastfeeding benefits and I completely agree with you. I also only wish that moms had better support to get their breastfeeding going; many seem to stop even due to advice from their doctor or due to no support.

Did you know that there are studies indicating that breastfeeding also reduce the risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)? Another strong reason to really help moms continue breastfeeding.

/Paula

Boni Faith Haynes said...

Thanks Paula! I agree with you on the support thing, but if there's anyone in this area thinking about breastfeeding or needs support we have an AWESOME local La Leche League Leader, Scottie, that a lot of us have on speed dial. Our La Leche meetings are laid back and supper informative.

Anonymous said...

I personally think it's a wonderful thing... I nursed Gracie for nearly 14 months! It didn't work w/Evan...but I would've if I could have!
I think moms should get the support (from family and friends) that they deserve, it's surely not an easy process. It's natural and good for the baby,but in a sense it's stressful at first and doesn't help when you're sleep deprived and the only one doing it.
You go girl! Two kids on the Hoo..Hoo's....Woo HOO!!

Boni Faith Haynes said...

You're right Jenny! So many Mom's don't have good support from family and others and it does make it hard. I've gotten many comments and looks from my family when it comes to nursing Ava. I guess I'm just so stubborn, it makes me want to do it longer!

Anonymous said...

I worked with a woman who nursed her daughter until she went off to Kindergarten. Her daughter was never sick. Great kid, great mom, her decision!

Anonymous said...

Great post Boni! You know I agree with you about tandem nursing and nursing for as long as the little ones want to/need to. Isn't it great that God gave us this ability to nurse more than one baby/child at a time. Isn't the bond between the nursing siblings an awesome thing to witness!Keep up the good work, tired mama. It gets easier!(At least, it did for me, until I was expecting the third baby in less than 5 years. At 22 weeks, I am back to being one exhausted mama!

Unknown said...

I am very proud of you Boni!! Nursing isn't easy, especially two!
I nursed Avery till 18 months, Grace to almost 1, and Aidan about 6 months, I had to go back to work, so he kinda wiened himself, I was so sad!!
I get so mad when people are offended by nursing in public, I love that saying!! I nursed babies everywhere you can imagine LOL~